Now is the time to start planning an unforgettable Washington DC getaway this winter and discover the best things to do in DC for couples! There’s something for everyone here, and if you’re traveling with romance in mind, it can be found at dusk at the National monuments and memorials, in the expansive halls and exhibits of the Smithsonian Museums, or at the intimate and award-winning restaurants and cozy bars in the area.
While the Nation’s Capital might not be your first choice when thinking of a romantic getaway destination, there are actually so many fun things to do in DC for couples, especially for those who enjoy experiencing new adventures together. With Valentine’s Day just on the horizon, there’s no better time to get a Washington DC getaway on the calendar!
First, you’ll want to secure your lodging, and one of the best things to do in DC for couples is stay at one of the most elegant Washington DC bed and breakfasts. The American Guest House offers a quiet reprieve with only 12 intimate guest rooms in our historic Colonial-style home built in 1893. Eight of these rooms are tailored specifically with couples in mind, with queen-size beds, luxurious linens, and private en suite bathrooms. We also have some delightful add-on packages to up the romance upon check-in. Book your lodging today!
The Best Things to Do in DC for Couples: An Unforgettable Trip
On a trip to Washington DC the world will be your oyster! There are so many spectacular things to do in DC for couples hoping to reconnect, spend time together, or explore a new place. One of the essential parts of a romantic getaway will be your meals, and DC is known for its diverse, flavorful, and international selection of award-winning restaurants.
Here are our ten favorite things to do in DC for couples this winter:
- Ice Skating at the National Gallery of Art and Sculpture Garden: An annual tradition, one of the best things to do in DC for couples is ice skating at this outdoor rink at the National Gallery of Art—warm up with hot cocoa and explore the sculpture garden too.
- Catch a Show at the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts: There’s a lovely calendar of events at this famous Washington DC theatre and music venue.
- Bundle Up and Take a Moonlight Tour of the National Mall: There’s something even more magical about these monuments and memorials under the light of the moon and seeing them all lit up against the dark night sky.
- Take a Stroll in the Historic Georgetown Neighborhood: The cobblestone streets, historic architecture, cozy cafes, and local boutiques make this iconic neighborhood an excellent location for a date!
- Warm Up at the Smithsonian Museums: For a perfect winter outing, head to one of the many Smithsonian Museums locations in the DC area. Most of these establishments are free, and it’s a great way to explore art and the world’s stories with your sweetheart.
- Shopping at CityCenterDC’s Palmer Alley: Walk through this alley with sparking strings of lights above! There’s a great collection of high-end shops, fantastic eateries, and bars for happy hour.
- A Winters Walk at Rock Creek Park: One of the best things to do in DC for couples is a winter’s hike at this stunning urban park. There’s a great selection of trails to explore under the ancient trees.
- Tour the Hillwood Estate & Gardens: Step back in time at this historic estate and gardens for a tour filled with stunning antiques and intriguing stories of the past.
- Dine at a Michelin Star Restaurant: There are 25 Michelin Star restaurants in DC; the two newcomers are Rania, serving upscale Indian dishes, and a small Peruvian tasting room named Causa.
- Grab a Cocktail at the Jack Rose Dining Saloon: Just under a ten-minute walk from our Washington DC bed and breakfast, this year-round rooftop terrace at Jack Rose is the perfect place to grab a drink.
Plan Your Washington DC Getaway This Winter
Now that you have your list of the best things to do in DC for couples, you’ll be ready to set your travel plans in motion. The sooner you book our Washington DC bed and breakfast, the more you’ll lock in the lowest rates, which leaves more in the budget for show tickets, romantic dinners, and shopping.
With our Washinton DC bed and breakfast as your home base, you’ll be in an ideal centralized location near the popular Dupont Circle neighborhood and only a quick metro ride away from the best sights in DC. Due to the intimate nature of our historic B&B, you’ll relish in our welcoming hospitality and knowledgeable staff on hand to answer questions, help with your luggage, and offer personalized recommendations.
For those hoping to up the romance factor, we have a couple of seasonal add-on packages, including our “Date Night” and “Valentine’s Special.” However, we always have our “Sparkling Celebration” with a bottle of the finest Moet & Chandon Champagne and fresh Strawberries in your room. It’s the perfect start to your Washington DC, getaway—a toast to romance! Book your lodging at our Washington DC bed and breakfast today!