When it’s time for a break from the spectacular memorials, monuments, and museums of our Nation’s Capital, Rock Creek Park in DC is the perfect place to surround yourself with nature. This 1,754-acre urban park is home to plenty of outdoor adventures, from hiking and biking to historical sites and a planetarium. The space is also shared with the Smithsonian’s National Zoo.
Rock Creek Park was first created by an Act of Congress in 1890 and remains one of the city’s most beautiful and untouched natural areas. You’ll find a lovely collection of hardwood trees, a babbling brook spanned by several bridges, and interesting rock formations throughout. Locals and visitors alike love heading to Rock Creek for a morning walk, picnic lunch, or evening in the shade of a stand of oaks, beech, cedars, and dogwood trees.
As a guest at our premier Washington DC Bed and Breakfast, you’ll be a quick car or bike ride away from Rock Creek Park in DC. If you’re heading out on foot, it’s about two miles, with plenty of incredible sightseeing along the way. After you’ve hiked, toured the zoo, or played a round of golf at Rock Creek, our boutique B&B will be a welcome reprieve. All of our guest rooms are elegantly appointed, air-conditioned, and comfortable for a quiet evening in Washington DC. We can’t wait to host you; book your room today!
The Best Things to Do at Rock Creek Park in DC
While perhaps the biggest attractions to Washington DC are the museums, historical monuments, and world-class culinary options, there’s something special about exploring a wilderness area in the middle of an urban area. Taking a moment in the shade of an ancient tree is a nice break from the hustle and bustle.
Here are the best things to discover at Rock Creek Park on your next visit:
- Head to Smithsonian’s National Zoo: If you’re walking from our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast, stop off at the National Zoo first—admission is always free!
- Explore the Hiking Trails: With more than 32 miles of hiking trails and paths to explore at Rock Creek Park in DC; you’ll find yourself forgetting that you’re in the middle of a large metropolitan area. The two primary routes are the Western Ridge Trail and the Valley Trail. Refer to the full park map before you go!
- Paddling along the Potomac River: Rock Creek is a shallow creek that flows through Washington DC and is a Potomac River tributary; boat rentals are available for those hoping to get out on the water!
- Rock Creek Park Horse Center: For a memorable experience, this horse center deep in the woods offers trail rides on these gentle giants through the park.
- Hit the Links: This nine-hole Washington DC golf course is nestled in the forest without a trace of city noise or traffic. Book a tee time and try your hand at the challenging yet accessible course.
- Discover the Historical Sites: From Civil War fortifications and working mills to colonial houses and historical landmarks, this park is full of fascinating history and stories. The best place to start is one of the three visitor centers at the park.
- Pack a Picnic: This urban oasis has many beautiful places to picnic. Open areas perfect for a blanket, picnic benches, and cozy groves are peppered around the park.
- Discover the Nature Center & Planetarium: For an educational element to your visit, the Nature Center offers guests an insight into the plant and animal life at the park, and the planetarium will take you to the stars with its state-of-the-art display and films.
Elegant Lodging at our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast
After an afternoon exploring Rock Creek Park in DC, our beautiful Washington DC Bed and Breakfast will await your return! The American Guest House is a classic Colonial-style home built in 1893 and converted into a cozy Inn with bed and breakfast-style amenities. There’s nothing cookie-cutter about our space, and our location is perfect for heading out to explore the best of the city.
Each elegantly-appointed room has thoughtful decor and a unique layout, with high-end amenities, luxurious linens, and exceptional hospitality from the moment you arrive. You’ll have access to our shared spaces, including our business room, for those traveling for work or the nearby conventions at the Washinton Hilton.
For those visiting us with romance in mind, check out our room enhancements and unique add-ons. Book in advance to have a seasonal bouquet, a bottle of sparkling wine, or a box of chocolates awaiting your arrival. You’ll have plenty of privacy to relax and reconnect at our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast. Reserve your room today!