Sitting room with a fireplace

Romantic B&B Accommodations

Our bed and breakfast inn has been lovingly restored to create a warm and cozy place to stay in Washington DC. Our classic row house in Dupont Circle offers 12 comfortable guest rooms with modern amenities, all while maintaining the charm and character of yesteryear. Our friendly staff and beautiful accommodations create the ultimate home-away-from-home for visits to our nation’s capital.

Front entrance of American Guest House

Convenient Central Location

Our bed and breakfast near Dupont Circle is centrally located in Washington DC, making it an ideal location for business travelers and convention attendees. It is extremely close to the Washington Hilton Hotel and within an easy walk to many Washington DC convention sites such as the Omni Shoreham Hotel, Wardman Park Marriott Hotel, and the Washington DC Convention Center.

Detailed Wood Element

House History Facts

  • The 5,400 square foot, four-story row dwelling was built in 1893 by Arthur Cowsill. Cowsill also did the bricklayer portion for the City Post Office and Union Station.
  • In 1914, the house served as the residence of the French Count, Count Peretti della Rocca.
  • Over the years, the property has been used as a tenement house, rooming house, hostel and now a bed and breakfast.
  • Rooming house use at the subject property was established by issuance of Certificate of Occupancy to Richard W. Bird on September 5, 1969. We found documentation of legal use as a transient rooming house dating back to 1969.
  • The house was previously known as the Columbia Road Guest House and was managed and owned by Richard Walker Bird and his mother. His mother, Charlotte Veronika Rubsamen, was born in Bonn, Germany in 1896 and immigrated to America in her early 20s to settle in the District. She married an American, Walter M. Bird.
  • Mr. Bird was the only heir; there is no one to claim the small fortune now in the hands of the DC Government.
Room 302 bed
Lucia sitting at the dining table

Present Day

Lucia Rosan purchased the property in March 2003. The massive renovation took about a year to finish, and we opened in December 2004. There are 12 guest rooms with en suite bathrooms, a small kitchen, parlor and dining room. Unfortunately, there is no parking on site, but there are options available nearby.