If you’re planning on exploring our Nation’s Capital this year, you may be asking when is the best time to visit Washington, DC. There are plenty of lively debates about this topic online, and according to US News, the best time to visit Washington, DC, is a tie between spring and autumn! Many believe spring is the perfect time when cherry blossoms bloom and the temperatures hover in the low 60s to high 70s.
On the other hand, one could argue that autumn is the best time to visit Washington, DC, as the leaves turn from greens to golds and the summer crowds have dissipated. While fall and spring are ideal in DC, the other two seasons also bring perks for a vacation to this area. Summer has a lively atmosphere with night markets and outdoor concert series. And winter is such a cozy time with shopping opportunities, ice skating, and holiday displays.
As with all travel plans, you should book your trip based on your interests and what you envision for your getaway—overall, there’s something for everyone to appreciate in Washington, DC, all year round.
But before you start filling out your itinerary, it’s best to secure your lodging. Thankfully, the American Guest House, a premier bed and breakfast in Washington, DC, is an excellent place to make your home base for exploring the city best. Our 1893 Colonial-style home offers twelve stately guest bedrooms, spacious shared areas to conduct business or relax, and a welcoming host to ensure you’re taken care of during your stay. Check out our upcoming availability and book your guest room today!
When is the Best Time to Visit Washington, DC, in 2023?
Is there really one best time to visit Washington, DC? People have plenty of opinions, but there’s a draw to this city every month of the year. We might venture to say that Spring is the best time to visit Washington, DC because the Cherry Blossom Festival is such a popular event. Here we’ll offer you the best things to do in Washington, DC, by each season.
Things to do in Washington, DC, this Spring:
- The most mentioned reason Spring is the best time to visit Washington, DC, is The National Cherry Blossom Festival, one of the most popular things to do in Washington, DC. This year the festival is planned for March 20th through April 16th.
- Head to a Washington Nationals baseball game! The season opens at the end of April and runs through the fall; of course, how long the season runs depends on how well they play throughout the year.
- Spring is a great time to catch a show, concert, or live performance. The National Theater and The John F. Kennedy for the Performing Arts are fantastic venues in the area.
Things to do in Washington, DC, this Summer:
- Summer might be the best time to visit Washington, DC if you plan on soaking up the AC at the local museums and art galleries. The collection of Smithsonian properties is impressive in DC; you won’t regret checking out the National Museum of Natural History, the Air and Space Museum, and the American Art Museum.
- Dining al fresco is a popular summer pastime, and you’ll find rooftop bars and restaurants, outdoor garden terraces, and street-side patios perfect for dinner and drinks. Read our blog about our favorite restaurants in Dupont Circle near our Washington, DC, Bed and Breakfast.
- The Potomac River comes alive in the heat of summer with party boats, tour companies, and sightseeing cruises. If you prefer a paddle craft, there are plenty of places to rent kayaks or stand-up paddle boards. The river is also the ideal location for watching the epic 4th of July fireworks show.
Things to do in Washington, DC, this Fall:
- The folks who claim that Autumn is the best time to visit Washington, DC, are all about the striking fall colors! And believe us, it’s truly a beautiful time to explore the Nation’s Capital, and the National Mall is especially bright and vibrant at this time of year.
- Oktoberfest, sponsored by Wunder Garten, for German brews and delicious Bavarian meals and treats, is an exciting event in the fall.
- Tour the cobblestone streets in the historic Georgetown neighborhood, where you’ll find some of the best restaurants, luxury shops, and many of the city’s finest art galleries. Fall is the best time to visit Washington DC if you enjoy crisp, sunny days exploring on foot.
Things to do in Washington, DC, this Winter:
- For some, the best time to visit Washington, DC, is for the National Christmas Tree lighting event. Many couples and families make it a yearly tradition!
- While the entire city glows with twinkling lights during the holiday season, the US Botanic Garden pulls out all the stops.
- Head out for some good old-fashioned ice skating during the winter in Washington, DC! You’ll be ready to return to our bed and breakfast to warm up in no time.
One of the Best Places to Stay in Washington DC
After you’ve decided when the best time to visit Washington, DC, is for you, you’ll want to join us at our historic Inn. Our B&B combines a fantastic location with unbeatable hospitality that you just won’t find at the cookie-cutter hotels in town. American Guest House is centrally located in the Kalorama Park and Dupont Circle neighborhoods and is the perfect place to stay for those visiting for both business and pleasure.
We’re within easy walking distance of many of the biggest attractions in Washington, DC, and for those activities a little further away, you’ll have convenient access to nearby metro stations. Unlike most traditional big chain hotels in the area, we can offer you personalized service tailored to your needs. You’ll love to relax in our cozy and historic, colonial-style home. We can’t wait to host you in the Nation’s Capital this year; book your room today!