During mid-March Washington DC’s treetops transform from white to pink as the snow melts and the long-awaited cherry blossoms bloom. The whole city becomes rose-colored and the recently sophisticated streets turn into stages for flocks to frolic at festivals. There are many events that comprise the National Cherry Blossom Festival during the time the blossoms are expected to be in bloom. This year, the festivities will take place from March 20 – April 15, and will primarily be located at the National Mall, near our Washington DC Inn. Here are the scheduled events you can plan to attend.
- Pink Tie Party, March 15 – It’s the annual kick-off to spring that consists of lively entertainment, delicious food, and extravagant decorations. Some of DC’s best restaurants will be catering the event and proceeds go towards funding the Cherry Blossom festivities.
- Opening Ceremony, March 24 – The historic Warner Theatre will host a variety of superb international performers as they celebrate the commencement of the Festival and the gift of the cherry blossoms from Japan to the U.S. in 1912.
- Tidal Basin Performances, March 24 to April 8 – Every day there will special performances at the Tidal Basin as well as paddle boats for you to experience the blossoms on the Potomac.
- Blossom Kite Festival, March 31 – For the seventh year in a row, creative kite makers show off their designs by putting them on display in the sky at the Blossom Kite Festival. It’s a fun and free event to attend.
- Petalpalooza, April 7 – The whole day will be filled with activities including music, games, art, and more. To top it all off, the day will conclude with a spectacular display of fireworks.
- National Cherry Blossom Parade, April 14 – A much-anticipated whirlwind of fun and the perfect last hurrah of the Festival is the Cherry Blossom Parade. Many celebrity guests will perform and the streets are filled with music, dancing, singing, and pink. It’s a must-see DC event!
Did you know that room rates increase as hotels get busier? Book Now and save!
Shannon Stiles, Innkeeper at American Guest House