There are a few must-visit attractions in the Nation’s Capital, and those often include the best museums in Washington DC. With more than 70 museums in the area, you’ll quickly see that there’s something for everyone. From history buffs and art lovers to science enthusiasts and air and space travel hobbyists, the selection of the best museums in Washington DC covers the entire spread.
When choosing which museums in Washington Dc to add to your itinerary, you can’t go wrong, especially if you’re picking based on the interests of yourself or your group. An excellent place to start is with the Smithsonian Institute in DC, this institution runs approximately 20 museums and galleries (the majority of which are free). Below, we’ll include many of these facilities on our list, as well as a few other great gems to tour during your stay.
Before you start planning out your museum tours, you’ll want to secure your lodging, and our historic Washington DC Bed and Breakfast is one of the best places to stay. Our 12-room Inn offers guests quiet and unique accommodations on par with any hotel in the area, including cozy guest rooms with en suite baths, comfortable seating areas, and so much more. Your lodging will become a memorable part of your getaway instead of just a place to keep your things. We can’t wait to host you at American Guest House; book your room today!
The 10 Best Museums in Washington DC Not to Miss
Touring the local monuments, memorials, and the best museums in Washington DC is always a pleasure and an unforgettable part of a visit to the Nation’s Capital. Also, Washington DC does tend to heat up in the summer months, and these museums are always air-conditioned for the perfect place to cool off while you learn and expand your mind.
- National Geographic Museum: You’ll find a variety of photographs from the famed magazine and rotating exhibits on scientific expeditions and explorations from over the years at this museum.
- National Museum of African American History and Culture: This is a Smithsonian Institute museum located on the National Mall, and it’s the only museum of its kind dedicated to showing the history of African American life and culture.
- National Museum of Natural History: This collection contains over 145 million specimens of plants, animals, fossils, minerals, rocks, meteorites, human remains, and cultural artifacts. Don’t miss the butterfly pavilion!
- International Spy Museum: Perhaps the most intriguing museum in Washington DC, if you’re a Bond fan, this is a must! From interactive exhibits and espionage artifacts to the fantastic gift shop, this stop is bound to be a blast.
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum: Adjacent to the National Mall, this museum is dedicated to profiling the history of the Jewish people before and after this horrific era in the world.
- National Gallery of Art: This expansive art gallery exhibits more than 120,000 works by more than 13,000 artists from the Renaissance to the modern day.
- National Air and Space Museum: Holding the number three spot on TripAdvisor for best museums in Washington DC, this Smithsonian outpost showcases the science of aviation, spaceflight, planetary science, and geology.
- National Museum of American History: Learn more about the heritage of the United States in the areas of social, political, cultural, scientific, and military history, including historical objects and archival collections.
- Hillwood Estate Museum and Gardens: Three experiences, all in one place. This historic estate includes structures, a museum and gallery space, antique collections, and stunning curated gardens.
- Apple Carnegie Library: As Apple’s most extensive and recent historic restoration project, the company revitalized the Beaux-Arts style building once home to the Central Public Library.
Plan on spending at least two hours minimum on tours of the best museums in Washington DC. There are even local guide groups who can help you plan out your itineraries and make exploring this fantastic city as easy as possible.
Our Historic Washington DC Bed and Breakfast
After you’ve had your fill of the best museums in Washington DC, you’ll be ready to relax and unwind! Our historic Washington DC Bed and Breakfast in the Kalorama neighborhood is the perfect home base for exploring all of the well-known attractions of our great city. We’re within walking distance of plenty, or you can easily access the DC Metro nearby.
As you walk up to our Colonial-style home, you can’t help but notice the beautiful architectural details and classic design. While constructed in 1893, our 12-room Washington DC Bed and Breakfast has been updated into this century with Wi-Fi throughout, central heat and air conditioning, and televisions. Each elegant room is impeccably clean and complete with all-white linens for the most comfortable and pleasant experience.
There is so much to explore in the Nation’s Capital—the best museums in Washington DC are just the beginning! Our guests are often set and ready to head out the door in the morning to fit it all in. Be sure to grab coffee and light morning fare from our continental-style buffet before you go. We can’t wait to host you at our historic Washington DC Bed and Breakfast. Reserve your room today!