Calling all book lovers! Mark your calendars for the Library of Congress National Book Festival on Saturday, September 1, 2018 at the Washington Convention Center. Join us at the best book festival of our nation, hosting the biggest names in every literature genre. Meet your favorite authors, poets, and illustrators to discuss their work and get their signatures on your personal copy of their work.
This festival is celebrating 18 years since its inauguration by First Lady Laura Bush in 2001. The object of this national festival was to encourage the public to revel in ‘the joy of the written word’ and it continues to energize the public for the cause of books, libraries, and reading.
It’s not surprising that thousands of book lovers come in droves to this festival. The lineup that takes the stage this year is stellar. Here is a brief sample:
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will be interviewed about her young readers adaptation of her memoir, “Turning Pages: My Life Story,” focusing on her lifelong love of books.
- Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright is the author of several books, including her newest: “Fascism: A Warning.”
- Amy Tan is the best selling author of “The Valley of Amazement,” and “The Joy Luck Club.”
- Tomi Adeyemi is a Nigerian-American writer of young-adult fantasy with one of her works being in development at Fox for a motion picture.
- Kate DiCamillo is the beloved author of many books for children, including “Flora & Ulysses” and “The Tale of Despereaux,” both of which received Newbery Medals.
Many fascinating programs and panel discussions will be offered on multiple stages. Enjoy a host of fun activities, for adults and children alike, on the expo floor. All of the presentations and activities at the festival are free, you just need to plan your accommodations!
Our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast is conveniently located less than two miles from the Convention Center and within minutes to great restaurants and the metro station. Your stay in one of our delightful rooms includes a delicious homemade breakfast every morning. We look forward to serving you at the American Guest House!