The eagerly anticipated warm weather and long days of summer are here! With summer in session, it’s time to start planning some fun activities. However, not everyone wants to spend an arm and a leg to help make the most of this long awaited time of year. Here’s a list of free, fun-filled activities to do in Washington D.C. this summer.
- Start your weekend right with Jazz in the Garden. This annual summer event brings the beat every Friday night from 5:00- 8:30pm starting May 18th – August 24th inside the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. You can purchase food and drink at the Pavilion Café while enjoying the riveting rhythm of your favorite style of jazz.
- Cool off your kiddos at one of D.C.’s four splash parks, located either at Canal Parks Interactive Fountain, Petworth’s Spray Park, Capitol Riverfronts Yards Park, or Georgetown Waterfront Park.
- Lose yourself in the live performance exhibition, “Does The Body,” making its debut at the Hirshorn Museum June 21– August 12. This event takes an artistic look at the intriguing relationship between the body and the mind featuring the work of five new artists. The production will incorporate comedy, dance, music, and spoken word to expressively answer The Smiths’ well-known lyrics, “Does the body rule the mind, or does the mind rule the body?”
- Light up the night with the bright and booming 4th of July fireworks over National Mall. Whether you’re floating on a fireworks cruise, relaxing at a nearby rooftop bar, or sitting across the famous Potomac River, you’ll find yourself immersed in the colors and sounds of this unforgettable event.
- Although more than 25 million people visit the National Mall every year, you can avoid the crowds by taking a star-lit nighttime stroll around the memorials that mark our country’s greatest men and moments, including the Lincoln Memorial, the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, and the WW2 Memorial. If you found them marvelous during the day, you’ll love perusing the memorials when they’re aglow with thousands of bedazzling lights, which add a little extra something to your Washington D.C. experience.
Most people will agree that vacations can sometimes leave us a tad tired. So, after an affordable and jam-packed day, imagine kicking back in a softly-lit cozy guest room with a cup of tea or glass of wine and your favorite book or movie. After a satisfying night’s sleep, you’ll awaken to a lavish array of breakfast goodies. You will find all this and more at the American Guest House Bed & Breakfast, ideally situated in downtown Washington D.C. just a short jaunt from many of the city’s happenings. Why just imagine it? Make this trip a reality by booking your room today!