It’s that delightful time of year when college tassles will be flipped, mortarboards thrown upward and families and friends gather to congratulate graduates. In Washington DC it’s especially exciting as we have so many colleges in such a condensed area. Students come from all over the world to attend the 12 universities and colleges that call DC home, so understandably many out-of-towners are here to enjoy this special event. Here are some helpful tips to make your graduation experience in DC extra memorable.
- Make reservations for post-graduation celebrations. This is not the day to be winging where you eat as restaurants are jam-packed, especially near campuses. When choosing a location consider noise levels and accessibility. If there will be young children or elderly guests attending let the host know when making your reservation so their needs can be considered.
- Embrace public transit. The roads in DC can be jam-packed on a typical day, but come graduation day the streets and parking lots near campus will be extra challenging. If you’re going to drive allow plenty of time – and wear comfortable walking shoes. Or take Uber/Lyft and appreciate the convenience of door-to-door service. For a list of graduation dates and times, click here.
- Prepare for weather. While there is nothing we can do about it, thinking ahead does pay off. Pack bottled water to stave off the heat and, at the same time, a sweater for cooler air-conditioned venues – there is a reason the rest of the country knows DC for intellectual pursuits rather than climate envy! And a pocket umbrella in a purse may just come in handy. (Many venues have limited carry-in items, so be sure and check your individual school’s website.)
- Keep graduation gifts small. The last thing a student needs when cleaning out a dorm room or apartment is one more thing to pack away. If you know for sure they want something large wait to deliver the item until they’re in their new digs. Instead, take a picture of it, slip it into a card and it can be celebrated in a post-graduation event, but it won’t need to be hauled around.
- Understand graduation event tickets may be limited. Families often have to struggle with deciding who can actually get in to specific venues. Be understanding. Take time during the ceremony to explore Washington DC. Even if you can’t attend the actual ceremony there will be plenty of pictures you can admire and being there for the graduate to celebrate his/her accomplishment is really what graduation is all about.
At American Guest House we are so excited for this monumental chapter in people’s lives we’re offering a special graduation rate. Stay any two nights for a graduation in May or June and receive 10% off our best available rate by using coupon code GRAD10 when you make your reservation. Our central location makes it ideal for getting to various college venues and, as always, our amenities – including a glass of wine upon check-in, luggage storage, and a full, freshly-made breakfast – make your DC stay both pleasurable and memorable.