The government shut down has created quite a bit of unhappiness amongst thousand of tourists throughout the United States, to say the least. We feel for those that came from far away to visit our land and we apologize for our not-so-polite government behavior towards our visitors in general. However, there are several tourist sights and attractions open to the public throughout the country, and particularly here in Washington DC.
Below is an impressive list of tourist places that are open in Washington DC during the government shut down. Because there is so much to see and do in DC, most visitors end up seeing only the most popular tourist attractions. But on this list are places that you will enjoy visiting just as much. These are DC’s best-kept secrets mostly known by locals only. American Guest House, a Washington DC Inn has compiled this list in order to help our guests and all visitors, in general, to enjoy their stay in DC even with the shutdown.
Please click here to see a list of closed tourist attractions and sights in DC.
- 1. Bureau of Engraving and Printing,
2. The Phillips Collection,
3. The Corcoran Gallery of Art,
4. National Building Museum,
5. The Eccles Building, Headquarters of the Federal Reserve Board,
7. Ford’s Theatre,
8. Arlington National Cemetery
9. National Museum of Women in the Arts
10. Sixth and I Historic Synagogue
11. Arlington Cemetery
12. George Washington Mount Vernon
13. Folger Shakespeare Library
14. Eastern Market
15. Howard Theater
16. Kennedy Center
17. The Mansion on O Street
18. Madame Tussauds
19. National Building Museum
20. Tudor Place
21. The Crime Museum
22. National Geographic Museum
23. National Cathedral
24. Old Town Alexandria and its history
25. Tours by foot, car, bicycle and boat
For other great things to in Virginia, click here.