Fall is an ideal time to visit the Nation’s Capital and explore all of the best things to do in Washington, DC! The city is often less crowded than in the summer months, and the weather is perfect for sightseeing. You can enjoy the gorgeous fall foliage, great waterfront views, fantastic restaurants, bars, and attractions the city offers. Plan your getaway to this vibrant city and experience the best of what it has to offer this season.
Whether you enjoy browsing museums or strolling through beautiful parks, Washington, DC, has something to offer everyone. The weather during September and October is mild and warm, without the dramatic heat waves and high humidity that can be experienced during the summer, making it a perfect time to explore the vibrant city. If you’re here for business travel or one of the Washington DC conventions and conferences, hopefully, you’ll have time to slip out between meetings and explore the best things to do in Washington, DC.
First, you’ll want to secure your lodging, and our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast is one of the best places to stay for business or pleasure. Our historic, stately twelve-bedroom Colonial-style home showcases a quintessential architecture known in this area. Unlike cookie-cutter hotel offerings, you’ll love our personalized service, comfortable and unique guest rooms, and ideal location close to everything but set back on a quiet street nestled in the Kaloroma neighborhood. Book your room at our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast today!
Cozy Things to Do in Washington DC This Autumn
Fall is such a beautiful time to visit the popular activities, as all of the best things to do in Washington, DC are made better with the stunning fall colors as your backdrop. The city’s numerous parks and tree-lined streets burst into a riot of red, orange, and yellow leaves during the fall season. If you’re coming for romance, it’s truly a remarkable time to make memories with your partner!
- National Arboretum: Bask in the sensationally colorful foliage found at the National Arboretum. This is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful things to do in Washington, DC, in the fall.
- National Mall: Exploring the National Mall is a must during autumn. The monuments and memorials, including the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, and Jefferson Memorial, look even more majestic amidst the fall foliage.
- Rock Creek Park: There are so many local parks to explore; one of our favorites is the nearby Rock Creek Park, which is the ideal place to take a walk or bike ride while soaking up gorgeous fall foliage. You can also visit the Smithsonian National Zoo here.
- Smithsonian Museum Collection: Pick a favorite Smithsonian Museum (or two) and explore! When the weather gets chilly, head indoors to DC’s extensive collection of these famed museums, the majority of which are free!
- National Gallery of Art: The current exhibits are always impressive at this world-class gallery, but don’t miss the sculpture garden here—it’s a must-see in the fall months.
- George Washington Memorial Parkway: If you’re looking for beautiful scenic drives to take, you’ll be thrilled to know one of our favorite things to do in Washington, DC, is taking a leisurely drive along this historic parkway.
- The Kennedy Center: There’s nothing like dinner and a show; during the fall, get bundled up for a crisp evening out on the town; check out the upcoming fall shows at this world-renowned performing arts center.
- The Wharf: Explore this mile-long waterfront neighborhood full of outdoor dining, local shopping, and fun events and activities right along the Potomac River. Enjoy the fall foliage from the water taxi or a kayak! They also host a lot of annual events at this local venue.
- A Historic Neighborhood Tour: Exploring different and diverse neighborhoods is a must-do in Washington, DC. Georgetown’s cobblestoned streets, Capital Riverfront, Capitol Hill, and more are favorites.
- Embassy Row: Take a stroll along Embassy Row and admire the historic homes, reveling in their beauty under the gentle autumnal glow of fall. There are even local tour groups offering guided walking tours!
This is just the beginning of the fantastic things to do in Washington DC this Fall! There’s really no shortage of adventures, especially with the dramatic autumn colors as your backdrop.
Book Our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast
Whether you’re heading to the Nation’s Capital for business or pleasure, there’s no better place to stay than our Washington, DC, Bed and Breakfast. For those here to get away from work, you’ll love our unique lodging, set in the vibrant Kaloroma neighborhood, which is perfectly central to discovering all of the best things to do in Washington, DC. Each guest room is equipped with central heat and AC, free Wi-Fi, private and pristine en suite baths, Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, televisions, and fine furnishings.
For those heading here for business travel and conferences, The American Guest House is just a quick walk to the Washington Hilton, where most business conventions are held. Escape the impersonal nature of large hotels and enjoy the warmth and character of our well-appointed rooms and personalized service. After a long day doing work-related tasks, there’s no better place to relax than in your own quiet, private space.
We can’t wait to host you for your next Washington, DC, convention or vacation! When you choose our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast, your lodging becomes a part of your getaway, not just a place to keep your things and sleep at night. Join us in the Nation’s Capital this Fall and reserve your room today!