Incredible monuments, fascinating world-class museums, beautiful parks, award-winning restaurants…the list could go on and on for the best things to do in Washington DC this year. While it’s nearly impossible to see it all in one trip, there’s a handful of the greatest hits you shouldn’t miss. We suggest planning at the very least three days in the area, ideally a week, to fully enjoy yourself.
First, you’ll want to decide where to stay. There’s a collection of fantastic neighborhoods to choose from—the area is divided into four quadrants, eight wards, with 37 designated neighborhood commissions. However, there are more than 130 unofficially named areas in DC. Although Georgetown is the oldest and most historical of the neighborhoods—and you’ll find many exciting things to do in Washington DC there—we suggest lodging in the Dupont Circle/Kalorama neighborhoods.
The American Guest House is in a historic 1893 Colonial-style home, centrally located with charming architectural details and appointments. We offer boutique amenities with classic bed and breakfast-style touches at our Dupont Circle Hotel. You won’t experience an impersonal stay here; you’ll feel welcomed and at ease to make yourself at home. With only 12 private rooms, your lodging becomes a part of your getaway instead of just a place to keep your bags while you discover our amazing city. Reserve your room today!
Things to do in Washington DC near our B&B
Of course, there are plenty of fantastic things to do in Washington DC, throughout the year—especially this upcoming spring and summer. Get outside and enjoy some hiking, biking, and paddling; shop ’til you drop around the city, explore the vibrant Washington DC neighborhoods, and have a vacation you’ll never forget.
Here are a few of the best things to do in Washington DC this year:
- Explore Rock Creek Park: Just about ten minutes north of our Dupont Circle hotel, you’ll find a lovely green space in the middle of our urban core. Explore one of the 32 miles of hiking trails that weave around the 1,754-acre nature preserve.
- Head to the Apple Carnegie Library: This is an impressive addition to the Apple Store catalog and brings new life into this historic library building.
- Check out the Phillips Collection: Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood, this museum and gallery is one of the best things to do in Washington DC, for art lovers.
- Tour the Jeff Bezos Mansion: Also known as “The Amazon Embassy,” this multi-million dollar mansion is within walking distance from our Dupont Circle hotel.
- Dine out at the Best Restaurants: One of the best things to do in Washington DC is explore the culinary gems and dining opportunities. There’s a lovely selection of restaurants in the Dupont Circle neighborhood and nearby: here’s a list of our favorite spots not to miss.
- Watch a Game at the Best Sports Bars in Town: Our city is big into sports! You’ll find a great selection of lively sports bars to catch a game, grab drinks, and have dinner out with the locals. Eater DC compiled a fantastic list of places to root on the home team.
- Take a Walking Tour of the Neighborhoods: While we’re so fortunate to have an excellent public transportation system in this area, one of the best things to do in Washington DC is sightseeing on foot. You’ll find waterfront strolls, urban hiking trails, and so much more.
- A Night at the Theater: The John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts is a beautiful venue hosting Broadway productions, concerts, and authors.
- Hit the Washington DC Farmers Market: One of the best things to do in Washington DC in the spring and summer months is hit one of the many farmer’s markets in the local neighborhoods. As a guest at our Dupont Circle hotel, you’ll be a quick ten-minute walk to the FreshFarm Dupont Circle market on Sundays year-round.
- Events at the Smithsonian Museums: The Smithsonian Institute is a world-renowned collection of museums, galleries, and educational facilities, and DC is its home base. You’ll find eleven of these locations at the National Mall, and there are ongoing events year-round to check out during your stay.
For more personalized recommendations on the best things to do in Washington DC, feel free to ask our warm and helpful staff members at our Dupont Circle hotel.
Explore One of the Best Washington DC Neighborhoods
Our location in Kalorama near Dupont Circle is centrally located near the heart of the city. With the Adams Morgan Neighborhood to the east, the Georgetown Neighborhood to the West, DuPont Circle to the south, and Woodley Park just to the north, no matter which of the Washington DC neighborhoods you want to explore, we are right down the street to every destination in DC.
We hope you feel at home at our historic boutique Dupont Circle hotel. We offer business travelers and tourists a welcoming space to relax after a long day exploring all the best things to do in Washington DC. With only 12 private guest rooms, you’ll never encounter unexpected crowds or unwanted noise at the American Guest House. We pride ourselves on creating a welcoming space with high-end amenities for an unforgettable getaway.
For those who may be heading to Washington DC, with your special someone, we offer a list of wonderful enhancements to add to your lodging accommodations. If it’s an extra touch of romance you’re after, we’ll happily have roses or chocolate awaiting your arrival. Sometimes it’s the small details that set your vacation off on the right path. We can’t wait to host you while you explore our beautiful city; book your room today!