Given that the nation’s capital is a sprawling city made up of charming and quaint neighborhoods, finding the best places to stay in Washington DC can be a daunting task. Of course, choosing places to stay in Washington DC depends on what you plan to do here – and there is certainly no shortage of things to do in Washington DC, too!
If you genuinely want to stay at one of the best places to stay in Washington DC that seamlessly blends a fantastic location and unbeatable hospitality, then you need to look no further than our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast. American Guest House, is centrally located in the Kalorama Park and Dupont Circle neighborhoods and is the perfect place to stay for those in town for both business and pleasure.
We’re within easy walking distance of many of the top things to do in Washington DC, and for those items a little further away, we’re conveniently located near metro stations. Unlike most traditional hotels in the area, we offer a personalized, cozy stay in our historic, colonial-style home. This combination of stately guest rooms, welcoming hospitality, and a centralized location consistently ranks us as one of the best places to stay in Washington Dc.
Whatever brings you to town, elevate your stay with the American Guest House. It’s one of the best places to stay in Washington DC for a reason! Book your getaway today!
Best Places to Stay in Washington DC
From world-renowned museums, national monuments, charming neighborhoods, and exceptional restaurants, there’s no shortage of great things to do in Washington DC. With so much to explore, though, you’ll want somewhere accessible and welcoming to use as your home base – and that’s precisely what you’ll find at our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast. Our location is just the beginning of what makes us one of the best places to stay in Washington DC.
As you pull up to the stunning exterior of our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast, you’ll start to see why we’re one of the best places to stay in Washington DC. Our Inn is housed in a beautiful four-story Colonial-style row house that dates back to 1893. Inside, you’ll find a welcoming and stately elegance reminiscent of a bygone era. Though each of our twelve guest rooms offers you a taste of this historic charm, you’ll compromise nothing during your stay with us.
Each guest room is impeccably clean and well-maintained with crisp, white linens, and they are outfitted with all the modern amenities you crave. From free and fast WiFi for business travelers and high-end toiletries in each suite to property amenities like self-serve coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and cookies throughout the day, we’ve thought of everything, so you don’t have to. Each guest room is uniquely decorated to reflect the elegance of this historic property and features a queen or double bed, private bathrooms, and so much more.
We’d love nothing more than to treat you to a fresh, homemade breakfast to start your day in the morning. We serve a bountiful continental breakfast in our dining room from 8 – 9 am. Breakfast often includes a variety of fresh foods, like scrambled eggs, omelets, bacon, sausage, muffins, pancakes, toast, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereals, orange juice, coffee, and tea. We’re also happy to cater to business travelers that may need to attend early-morning meetings or conferences and offer a to-go breakfast. We even now offer a room-only rate without breakfast for those travelers who would prefer managing meals on their own.
Apart from offering comfortable and clean accommodations with exceptional hospitality, we’re also well-located for you to enjoy the best of Washington DC. We’re in the Kalorama Park neighborhood and bordering the famed Dupont Circle neighborhood. From here, you can easily access the White House, Monuments, Smithsonian Museums, Capitol Hill, Georgetown, Georgetown Waterfront Park, Washington Harbor, and so much more, too.
With access to so much of the city, it’s easy to see why we’re one of the best places to stay in Washington DC. Add to this the best hospitality and comfortable accommodations, and you have the recipe for an unforgettable vacation in the nation’s capital.
Top Things to do in Washington DC Near Us
Now that we’ve covered why American Guest House is one of the best places to stay in Washington DC let’s talk about what you’re going to do while you’re here! The nation’s capital city is home to some of the nation’s most treasured history and accordingly has a wealth of monuments, museums, and other attractions and events worth seeing.
Whether you’re here on business or pleasure, you’ll find plenty of great things to do in Washington DC – much of it within easy reach from our Inn! Here are just a few of our favorite things to do in Washington DC.
- Tour the US Capitol Hill. It’s located at the geographic center of Washington DC and is surrounded by a variety of other government buildings and charming 19th-century row houses.
- Tour the Library of Congress‘ impressive building, a stunning Italian-Renaissance style building built in 1897. It’s open for tours, highlights of which are the magnificent gilt murals and the gorgeous circular main reading room with its 160-foot-high ceiling.
- Head to Eastern Market. It’s housed inside a beautiful historic brick building that dates back to 1873. Inside, you’ll find a variety of grocers, bakers, and other food vendors and a lively weekend bazaar with produce, crafts, and antiques.
- Head to the nearby Folger Shakespeare Library, which houses the most extensive collection of Shakespeare’s works in the world.
- Walk along Embassy Row in the Dupont Circle neighborhood. It’s a 2-mile-stretch along Massachusetts Avenue that passes dozens of diplomatic missions and sights. Alternatively, you can shop ’til you drop on Connecticut Avenue! Wherever you go in Dupont Circle, don’t miss the chance to stop at the many great coffee shops or bistros in the area.
- Art lovers shouldn’t miss the Philips Collection, the first American collection of modern art. They currently have a fantastic Picasso exhibit on display through June 12th.
- You can sit and people watch at the popular Dupont Circle Fountain nearby, or head over to the more quiet and picturesque Spanish Steps – a great place to enjoy a few quiet moments to yourself in the city.
- Tour one of the many incredible Smithsonian Museums, such as the National Zoo, the National Museum of African American History and Culture, the National Air and Space Museum, the National Museum of American History, and the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
- There is some excellent shopping in the adjacent Georgetown neighborhood, as well as some of the city’s top restaurants. The best area to shop are M Street and Wisconsin Avenue, and when you’re done, don’t miss the fantastic river views found near Georgetown Waterfront Park.
- If you need a break from the busy din of city noise, head to Rock Creek Park, just a few minutes from our Washington DC Bed and Breakfast. It’s a true oasis in the city, with plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, boating, and more.
- See the top historical sites in our nation, including the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument on the National Mall.
- When the weather heats up this summer, get out on the water to keep cool! There are a variety of boat tours in the area, and you can also rent kayaks and paddleboards for a self-guided adventure on the water. Here’s a great guide to the best water activities for summer.
- Summer is packed with fun festivals and events in Washington DC – and our location near most of them is yet another thing that makes us one of the best places to stay in Washington DC! Must-see events include Awesome-Con, Something in the Water Festival, the Smithsonian Folk Life Festival, July 4th Fireworks, the Capital Fringe Festival, the Citi Open, and the DC Jazz Festival, just to name a few!
- Washington DC is one of the best foodie cities in the country, so this summer is the perfect opportunity to dine your way around the city at the top Washington DC restaurants.
- Just as the restaurant scene is unbeatable, so, too, are the city’s many bars and nightlife venues. Summer is a great time to hit up rooftop bars and patios, which you’ll find in just about every neighborhood around the city. Of course, many of these top bars and restaurants are located within easy walking distance of our Inn – just one more reason we’re one of the best places to stay in Washington DC!
As you can see, the possibilities are endless here in the nation’s capital, and now is the perfect time to visit. Whether you’re here attending to business, attending a local conference or event, or are just exploring our nation’s history, you’ll find there are no better places to stay in Washington DC than our historic Bed and Breakfast. Isn’t it time you discovered the difference? Book your room today at one of the top-rated places to stay in Washington DC today!