Staycations have been earning attention from the hospitality industry because they allow residents to relax in a new environment while bypassing the ever-increasing costs of travel. In cities with diverse populations and with neighborhoods that have a rich cultural heritage, a vacation across town is a good option for residents, particularly those trying to set down roots in a new city.
D.C. residents are known as transient, often arriving for school or work, then moving on to other cities. Others maintain high-pressure jobs with long hours and view the district as a means to their professional goals. These factors make it less likely that residents will visit adjoining neighborhoods or engage in cultural tourism; this has a tendency to isolate neighbors from one another rather than fostering a community of common interests between D.C. residents. For those looking to set down roots in the district, a staycation can give newcomers the opportunity to bond with the city. A resident can spend the night in another neighborhood, learn about its history and residents, observe local architecture, and visit local restaurants and shops.
(image courtesy of George Hodan)
Small-scale DC hotels and B&Bs have a rare opportunity to market to local consumers and encourage residents to spend time in different neighborhoods around D.C. For example, “staycation packages” can create synergistic business opportunities and give residents incentive to explore areas of the city that may be less frequented. Our B&B has been exploring opportunities to introduce D.C. residents to local restaurants and markets north of Dupont circle. For the month of August, American Guest House, a Washington DC Inn is advertising a Staycation Package, which includes the following coupons to local businesses around Dupont Circle:
- $30 OFF rooms with nightly rate of $219 or $20 OFF rooms with nightly rate of $194 (two night minimum) at American Guest House
- 10% OFF all services from Spa Logic, full-service hair and beauty salon — 1721 Connecticut Ave, DC 20009
- 20% OFF purchase price from Mediterranean Way, ethnic/specialty grocery store — 1717 Connecticut Ave, DC 20009
- $10 OFF of $50 or more from Cheeky Puppy, provisions for modern pet lovers — 1709 Connecticut Ave, DC 20009
- 10% OFF total purchase and two FREE truffles with purchase of $50 or more from Cocova, “fall in love with chocolate, again” –1904 18th St. DC, 20009
- 10% OFF total purchase from Tryst,coffee house – bar – lounge — 2459 18th St., DC, 20009
- Three course meal for $35 from Russia House, restaurant and lounge — 1800 Connecticut Ave., DC, 20009
We are also encouraging residents to become acquainted with the history of their neighborhood by featuring the Adams Morgan Heritage Trail on their blog and encouraging guests to take the self-guided tour. We hope residents of the district join us this August for a relaxing staycation!
Marcos, Innkeeper at American Guest House, a Washington DC Bed and Breakfast Inn