Another great recipe to try for breakfast at our lovely Washington DC B&B!
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1-1/2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 egg whisked(egg wash)
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
2) Place walnuts in small pan over medium heat to toast for 4-5 minutes over medium high heat. Watch carefully and turn often with spatula.
3) Whisk flour, baking powder and salt to combine and sift. Add walnuts to flour mixture.
3) Place milk and egg in a large bowl. Add honey. Whisk to combine. Stir in flour mixture and combine with a wooden spoon until ingredients are combined. Do not over stir the ingredients. Turn into prepared pan.
4) Bake in center of oven until golden, about 45 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees; continue baking another 10 to 15 minutes longer. Use a brush and cover loaf with egg wash during the last fifteen minutes. This adds a nice sheen and color to the loaf.
5) Remove from oven. Let sit for 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to age overnight.
Makes 1 loaf
American Guest House in Washington DC